My family gobbled this casserole up without anyone whining. That’s a true win for this momma! My kids literally ask if we can have it every week.
Zesty Salsa Chicken and Brown Rice Casserole Serves 4-6
- 2/3 c. brown rice
- 1 1/2 c. vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 med. onion, diced
- 1 med. green pepper, diced
- 1 med. carrot, peeled and diced
- 4 oz. diced green chilies
- 2 cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 3/4 t. cumin
- 1/2 t. salt
- 3 dashes of cayenne pepper (if you don’t like spice omit this all together, or use 1 dash)
- 3/4 c. jarred or homemade fresh salsa
- 15 oz. black beans, drained and rinsed
- mozzarella cheese
- Mix rice and stock in a pot, cover and bring to a boil. Turn down to a low simmer and cook until tender, about 40 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9×13 pan.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion, green peppers, carrots and green chilies to the pan and sauté until the onion is tender. Add in the chicken and the spices. Stir to combine. Turn off the heat and add the cooked rice and beans to the mixture. Stir and make sure it is completely combined. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Place mixture in the greased 9×13 pan. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Serve and top with just a pinch of mozzarella cheese.
Darcie is the wife of Rich and homeschooling mama to four loud, imaginative and precious kids. She loves Jesus, being with family and friends, cooking, reading, blogging and saving money any way she can. She posts FREE weekly meal plans as well as many original recipes and money saving kitchen tips over at her blog, Darcie’s Dishes.