One of my family’s favorite picnic items is taco salad. Whenever we are invited somewhere, I always ask when to bring. The typical response for a summer event is “taco salad” or “dessert” (sometimes it is both). Today, I will share with you my twist on taco salad that uses Doritos and salad dressing.
1 lb ground beef
1 pkt taco seasoning
1 head lettuce, chopped
2 lg tomatoes, chopped
1 small can sliced black olives, drained
8oz bag shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 family size bag Nacho Cheese Doritos
2/3 16oz bottle Catalina dressing
1. Cook the ground beef in a skillet; drain the grease and return to skillet.
2. Stir in taco seasoning and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil. Continue boiling, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is gone.
3. Let the meat cool. Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the salad.
4. Meanwhile, if you have not chopped the lettuce and tomato, do so now. Also drain the black olives.
5. In a large bowl, mix together the lettuce, tomatoes, black olives, and cheese. Add the meat.
6. Add the Doritos, crunching them in your hand as you do so (not into crumbs, just smaller pieces).
7. Add the Catalina dressing; stir.
8. Add more dressing if it is not “wet” enough for your taste.
This recipe is pretty simple, doesn’t take too long, and makes a lot. I prefer to make mine a few hours ahead of time to let everything really mix together. The Doritos will get softer as it sits for hour or sits overnight, but I enjoy it that way. If you think you would prefer yours very crunchy, then be sure to make it closer to serving time.