Amish women are well known for their cooking abilities. I LOVE homemade Amish bread. Here is a tried and true Amish bread Recipe:
2/3 cup white sugar
1 ½ Tbs active dry yeast
1 ½ tsp salt
¼ cup vegetable oil
6 cups bread flourDIRECTIONS:
1. In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, then stir in the yeast.
2 Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.
3. Mix salt and oil into the yeast.
4. Mix in flour, one cup at a time.
5. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
6. Place the dough in a well-oiled bowl, turning dough to coat.
7. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth.
8. Allow the dough to rise until doubled in bulk, about one hour.
9. Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half.
10. Shape the dough into loaves, and place into two well-oiled 9×5 loaf pans.
11. Allow dough to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.
12. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.